Thursday, August 20, 2009

2.2 Wireless Energy Transfer and Fractal Antenna Practicality (WET FAP)

So as some of you may know, last year I was a bit obsessed with trying to figure out a practical method of "long-range" energy transfer. The design that piqued my interest was the copper coils developed by MIT under Prof. Marin Soljacic, which was dubbed WiTricity. The idea is fairly simple: to transfer electrical energy (from a sending coil connected to an AC power source to a recieving coil connected to a load) via loosely coupled magnetic resonance. In this case, "long range" is defined as several coil diameters.

Anyway, after watching the section of the fractal special that dealt with fractal antennas, it got me thinking. The properties of these antennas are now used to simultaneously send and receive information on different frequencies in cell phones. Could this be applied to wireless energy transfer? From what I understand, due to the infinite nature of what I will call "scale symmetry," a fractal has an infinite perimeter. This means that the area is also technically infinite? Since there are an infinite number of sharp corners, can this area/perimeter not be integrated? Something to think about, I suppose.

LOTD:
Yes! Skip to 2:44...

No comments:

Post a Comment